Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Christmas and Spiderman

Well, Christmas has come and gone and unfortunately I don't have much crafty to show for it.
In November I ended up injuring myself (long story) and it made my handmade holidays a little less attainable this year.
But there was one project I wasn't going to let go.
A quilt for my sweet nephew who is 2 1/2 years old and a Spiderman fanatic!
It was started and finished within less than 2 weeks and I'm glad to say the speed in which it was executed only made it better--it was beautiful!
(if I do say so myself)

I received the fabric several days after initially injuring my finger so I spent much time dreaming of how I wanted it to look. The main bulk of the design was centered around a panel measuring 1 yard. and here is the finished project--inspired heavily by THIS flickr photo
Here is a shot of the quilting. I did a straight line quilting with my walking foot of lines at all different angles across the quilt in white--to mimick a spider web.
And here it is upon its unveiling--my nephew really liked it--I think it was more than my brother and my nephew could believe :)
even Nana got in on the action and helped me with sewing up the pillow I made with the extra pillow panels.
Due to my injury I can't handsew so my mom came to the rescue--thanks MOM!

The quilt ended up being 69" x 92"--a long twin size just right for showcasing on his new big boy bed!
I backed it in a striped black, white and royal blue thrifted Ikea duvet cover and added a chunk of the yellow at the bottom for the extra length.

The duvet cover fabric was heavy weight which gave the quilt a nice bit of heft.
I did a machine stitched binding for the first time and I have to say I really missed the handstitching but honestly, I'm glad I had no choice because I would have had to bind it after I gave it to him otherwise.
As it was I was practically wrapping it as they walked in the door on the morn' of Christmas Eve.
All's well that ends well.



I was initially inspired to have a handmade Christmas by the Polkadot Chair and I'm really glad I persevered :)

the Polkadot Chair

Hope your Christmas was all you wanted and more.
Mine was a great one!

4 comments:

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

I love it! I got batman fabric to make quilts for my nephews this year-, I love superhero stuff for little boys!

So glad that you were inspired to quilt along! thanks for linking up!

Rossetta Hanna said...

How very cute! You did a great job! Sorry about your finger.

"reba" said...

He really enjoys his Spiderman quilt and pillow! It's the centerpiece of his whole Spiderman themed room! Everyone that has seen it can't believe you MADE it for him for Christmas... you're a great and talented Auntie (even with a hurt hand)!

Marilyn said...

Did you happen to use a pattern for this quilt? Would love to make one for my grandson